It all began in 1793 when Captain George Vancouver presented Kamehameha the Great with four cows in Kealakekua Bay. Soon thereafter, the king commissioned the construction of an enormous cattle pen, "Pa Nui," made of dry-stacked lava rock. Eight to nine feet high in some places, the pen encompassed nearly 480 acres and is still standing on private ranchlands near Honalo. Eventually, some of the herd escaped and began spreading across the island.
|Kona paniolo load cattle in Kailua Bay|
|Hawaiian tree saddle|
Innkeeper Holualoa Inn